[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 1609 and Pixelation Tests

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Fri May 31 19:12:17 UTC 2019

Hi James!

> My wife berates me for talking funny! My appologies.

Wow! You get to speak?! <bseg>

> I?ve tried lots of tuners, the worst of which was unwatchable on the worst channel on HD
> Without changing anything in the signal path I?m now using the Haupague Win TV usb tuners.
> I?ve not seen a single block or stripe since getting them.

Ah! OK, that is what I thought you intended: with various tuners the
worst viewing was unwatchable on a weak/distant/incorrectly aimed station.

“Everything” makes a difference: tuner, cable (coax), antenna. With the
TV tuners seems none list the sensitivity (µV), so pretty much have to
guess and reply on others’ experiences. (One reason why I posted my
follow-up which started this thread.)

Use of good-quality cable (coax): RG-6/U vs. RB-59/U – even then there
are multiple options. Check your cable: I’ve had
commercially-manufactured extension pieces (~18” long) where the center
conductor slipped: was pushed during installation so one end barely
touched the splitter’s connector and the other end extended into the tuner.

Antenna aiming: where the studios are aren’t necessarily where the
transmitter site is. At my location (house) the studios are in various
surrounding cities west and south but all except one transmitter are at
an Antenna Farm 20 mile south-southeaast.

You probably know all that, just a good review (especially that quirky
cable-slid one!)

Most of the reception problem here seems to be external factors,
combined with tuner specs, I think similar to your issues. Calm wind,
good recordings. Windy conditions, start to get pixelation issues; seems
to be some correlation with the RF Channel (the actual frequency the TV
station is transmitting, not its virtual channel), though that tends to
fall apart as locally there are two stations, one RF36 and the other
RF38, both 1000KW, on literally the same tower. yet RF36 will pixelate
horribly and RF38 will be a clear picture.

As for the Backend tuners, LIS previously the newer Hauppauge 1609 tuner
has worked well for me. Admittedly due to a little sloppiness in my
quickly connecting to an antenna the Backend with the 1609 inside is
connected to the antenna and splitter feeding the old Backend with the
1600 and 2250 tuners. IOW the two Backends are on the same antenna and
so getting the same signal. The new Backend (with 1609) is recording a
1000% better under mediocre reception conditions compared to the old
Backend.

Barry