[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 1609 and Pixelation Tests

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Fri May 31 00:58:19 UTC 2019

James and George:

To George’s “there seems to be no logic” comment I will definitely
agree! I have been running two Backends, both with old Hauppauge 1600’s
and 2250 for earlier Backends. The two systems are separate: two
antennae, two HDP169 pre-amps, even on two separate UPSs (OK, that one
was meant as a joke). The antennae are probably no more than ten feet
apart yet one system can record a show fine and the other be pixelated,
then the next night the reverse. Have done some experimenting with
forcing which tuner to record on so be consistent; still that
’sometimes’ with the recordings between the two systems. One BE might
have an unwatchable recording while the other is tolerable if weather
conditions are unfavourable.

I think there are differences in the way various tuners react to
fluctuations in signal strength, it seems the old tuners (in televisions
and the ones we use in our computers) seem to have the most problem
while the newer tuners have been tweaked by the engineers to compensate.
Still going to have some problems but the later generation/s of tuners
seem to work better.

Barry