[mythtv-users] 3TB...poof

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Mar 18 19:00:52 UTC 2019

Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's not unfortunate - it is a blessing. The obvious way forward is not to pay the Cupertino tax and buy affordable and expandable hardware.

Apple kit isn't always as expensive as it looks at first sight. It's a regular criticism, but a few times I've looked at alternative hardware **with similar specs** and found them comparable. That's more the case with laptops than desktops, and they've not done servers for a looooong time - I used to run two of the G4 servers.

But yes, for something like this, just run GNU/Linux on generic x86 hardware - unless for some reason you have some apple hardware lying around, and even then I;d consider running Linux on it for a Myth backend.

Tom Bishop <bishoptf at gmail.com> wrote:

> Eh folks can use what they choose but I would put the drives in a cheap NAS enclosure, that usually has a fan and should be better from a longevity perspective, then mount it via NFS etc, wouldn't have great performance but should be adequate for myth....

Agreed, but I'd prefer to direct connect it - but not all RAID/NAS type boxes support that. NAS & NFS is adding quite a lot of layers between Myth and the storage. There's a lot of RAID enclosures that have much the same physical arrangement as a good NAS box, but the ones (with Firewire) that seem to come up on eBay seem to only do RAID and not JBOD :-(
Firewire should always support multiple drive as JBOD, but for SATA it needs specific support in the host for a port multiplier.