[mythtv-users] 3TB...poof

Mike Hodson mystica at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 04:32:00 UTC 2019

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019, 20:43 Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote

> I’ve had multiple failures of the volume that Myth stores recordings on.
> I’ve had no other failures.  I know that’s not a statistical sample but
> Myth has something to  do with it.

Possibly the simple constant use is the only mitigating factor here. Myth
definitely does cause near constant access, if it has a lot of recordings
scheduled.

> The failures have been with different sizes of drives and from different
> vendors.  Note that after the failure, the drive enclosure is usually no
> longer usable (one exception).

So none of these are internal disks? All are external? I'm going to venture
that the electronics in an external enclosure may not be the best option
for 24/7 use.

 Ie if I put a known-good drive in the enclosure, it is not readable.  As I
> said earlier, the damaged drive is also unreadable in a known-good
> enclosure.  The failed enclosures are from different vendors and include
> Firewire 400, USB 2 and USB 3 methods of connection.

So the enclosures all die, and in the process kill the disk physically in
some method it sounds like?

> I don’t record a lot.  I have 4 OTA tuners (HDHomeruns) receiving North
> American broadcast HDTV.  It is very rare to have all tuners recording at
> the same time.  I do flag for commercials during recording so that may up
> the load.  I don’t believe I’ve ever been watching a recording during a
> failure.  The backend does not run any other applications.

It's not so much about throughput but the fact the disk and enclosure are
powered all the time.

> After the first failure, I equipped the backend with an Uninterruptible
> Power Supply.  The UPS was in place during the next 2 failures.  The UPS
> died a few months ago and I haven’t replaced it.  There were no indications
> of a power problem during the most recent failure.  My clock in my
> microwave is the most sensitive indicator of a power problem in our house
> and I haven’t had to reset it in a long time.

The microwave will only tell you about outages; not under or overvolt
periods. It would be useful to have some sort of meter that plugs into the
wall outlet and logs the voltage and frequency on your line, to understand
if surges may be killibg the cheap made-to-be-disposable electronics in the
enclosures.

Could you perhaps build the drive internally to your Myth machine if you
maybe bought a bigger case?  External enclosures are decidedly meant for
part-time use.

Mike