[mythtv-users] 3TB...poof

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Mon Mar 18 02:42:18 UTC 2019

> On Mar 17, 2019, at 3:03 PM, Matt Dorsch <mtusers at dorscm.wakeful.net> wrote:
>
> If you made a list of the possible causes of the failures, MythTV shouldn't be on the list. It has no control over the correctness of the filesystem. That would be the OS's job.
>
> If the drive passes a read-only test, which only checks if each sector can be read successfully not the contents of the sector, then either the OS had an issue that corrupted the FS, or there was a problem with the data channel. Both of those a pretty unlikely these days, except old hardware might cause a data issue.
>
> If the drive fails a read-only test, the damage goes beyond the filesystem, either to the circuit board of the drive or the platters themselves. This is usually caused by low quality components, old age, or bad power. If your system is on a UPS with AVR, it's probably not bad power.

I’ve had multiple failures of the volume that Myth stores recordings on.  I’ve had no other failures.  I know that’s not a statistical sample but Myth has something to  do with it.

The failures have been with different sizes of drives and from different vendors.  Note that after the failure, the drive enclosure is usually no longer usable (one exception).  Ie if I put a known-good drive in the enclosure, it is not readable.  As I said earlier, the damaged drive is also unreadable in a known-good enclosure.  The failed enclosures are from different vendors and include Firewire 400, USB 2 and USB 3 methods of connection.

I don’t record a lot.  I have 4 OTA tuners (HDHomeruns) receiving North American broadcast HDTV.  It is very rare to have all tuners recording at the same time.  I do flag for commercials during recording so that may up the load.  I don’t believe I’ve ever been watching a recording during a failure.  The backend does not run any other applications.

After the first failure, I equipped the backend with an Uninterruptible Power Supply.  The UPS was in place during the next 2 failures.  The UPS died a few months ago and I haven’t replaced it.  There were no indications of a power problem during the most recent failure.  My clock in my microwave is the most sensitive indicator of a power problem in our house and I haven’t had to reset it in a long time.

Craig