[mythtv-users] Sudden issue with HDHomeRun on network switch?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 23:46:19 UTC 2019

On 3/14/19, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi Tom,
>
> Thursday, March 14, 2019, 11:18:24 PM, you wrote:
>
>> I had a REALLY odd one this week, and I'm not sure what this is all
>> about:
>
>> I have two HDHomeRun Connect HDHR4-2US units. They've both been
>> connected to an 8 port switch I have for a long time. I expressly had
>> them on the switch so as to avoid having them dependent on the router.
>
>> On Monday I had several recordings fail. At that point I noticed that
>> the back of one HDHR was flashing red (no network connection). When I
>> tried to power it off and on it would get a link for a few seconds and
>> then drop it, and go to the blinking red status. I verified that the
>> switch port and cable were OK by connecting other devices and they all
>> worked OK. At that point I naturally figured that the HDHR, or the NIC
>> in it, must have died, so I ordered another. I actually ordered two
>> because 6th Ave Electronics (via Newegg) had them for $58 and free
>> shipping which is way cheaper than I generally see them.
>
>> They arrived today and when I hooked one up...SAME issue...drops the
>> link and flashes red after a few seconds...almost went ballistic. What
>> I found was that both the new one and the old one I thought was dead,
>> work perfectly connected to my router, but fail connected to ANY port
>> on the switch.
>
>> To make this even stranger, I now have a laptop of mine connected to
>> one of the same ports on that switch and it's working flawlessly. In
>> fact, my other (older) HDHR is working connected to the switch as it
>> always has.
>
>> I have no idea what to make of that at all. I can only think that
>> maybe the switch is going bad(?) and the requirements of the HDHR to
>> maintain a link are more restrictive than other devices?? Sort of
>> crazy. Any opinions would be welcome.
>
>> Tom
>
> How/where does the homerun obtain its ip-address?
> Did the laptop you tested with maybe have a hard ip-address?
> In other words check your dhcp.
>

> Tot mails,
>   Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

The HDHR (at least this model) doesn't support static IPs. I'm setting
it based on MAC address with my router's DHCP server (a Linksys
WRT1900ACS running dd-wrt). Note that it was totally dropping the link
itself, which doesn't sound like a DHCP issue. When it keeps the link
it gets it's IP with no problem.

Thanks!
Tom