[mythtv-users] Can't get my projector to work with Myth - HDMI Switch

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 15:16:22 UTC 2019

Hi Allen!

>>> The switches won't work without a 5v (?) input, which is usually snagged
>>> from an HDMI input; you may need an external DC Input, so either another
>>> wall wart or a charging adapter with multiple 2A outputs.  (Thinking up
>>> here where I have an RPi and HDMI switch, both need power.)
>> I need two outputs and one input and a switch not a splitter but the
> Amazon reviews make me think they will not work with my 30 feet cable to
> the projector.

I'm thinking (read "guessing') this is a "YYMV" situation: quality of
the cable and the switch, input sensitivity of the projector, etc.
HDMI.org ( https://www.hdmi.org/installers/longcablelengths.aspx ) may
give your some information.  ...Somewhere when trying to find some other
information I did see about HDMI cable runs could be up to 50' though
the cable length in stores was commonly 25'

Here for 'longer' runs I have used the 'booster' HDMI cables; not sure
how far we can go without getting That Look from the moderators but I
have purchased from Amazon the 15' length of "Monoprice 109169 Active
Select Series" and it resolved a problem with a deteriorating signal
into a 5-output HDMI switch.  ...Must have been due to the video card in
that computer as another computer in the same cabinet did not need a
special cable.

The amplified cable uses "RedMere Technology" if that helps any. The
cable is marked as to which end gets plugged into the computer and which
to the monitor (to your projector).

HTH!

Barry