[mythtv-users] Can't get my projector to work with Myth - HDMI Switch

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Mar 9 15:49:37 UTC 2019

On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 09:16:22 -0600, you wrote:

>Hi Allen!

>>> I need two outputs and one input and a switch not a splitter but the
>> Amazon reviews make me think they will not work with my 30 feet cable to
>> the projector.
>
>I'm thinking (read "guessing') this is a "YYMV" situation: quality of
>the cable and the switch, input sensitivity of the projector, etc.
>HDMI.org ( https://www.hdmi.org/installers/longcablelengths.aspx ) may
>give your some information.  ...Somewhere when trying to find some other
>information I did see about HDMI cable runs could be up to 50' though
>the cable length in stores was commonly 25'
>
>Here for 'longer' runs I have used the 'booster' HDMI cables; not sure
>how far we can go without getting That Look from the moderators but I
>have purchased from Amazon the 15' length of "Monoprice 109169 Active
>Select Series" and it resolved a problem with a deteriorating signal
>into a 5-output HDMI switch.  ...Must have been due to the video card in
>that computer as another computer in the same cabinet did not need a
>special cable.
>
>The amplified cable uses "RedMere Technology" if that helps any. The
>cable is marked as to which end gets plugged into the computer and which
>to the monitor (to your projector).
>
>HTH!
>
>Barry

For longer runs, it is best to get the optical HDMI cables, where
there is an optical transducer at each end powered from the HDMI port,
and an optical fibre between them.  That is also better for the latest
HDMI 2.1 specification, where the bit rates are getting so high that
electrical signaling is getting problematical.