[mythtv-users] Any words of advice for installing MythTV on CentOS 7

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 09:32:22 UTC 2019

On 21/06/2019 09:15, ajp at cantabrian.co.nz wrote:
> HI,
>
> I am about to do a clean install of Myth on CentOS 7, so looking at
> either Myth 0.29 or 0.30.
>
> Hunting around the mail list archives and Google there is not much
> recently on CentOS/RedHat installs of MythTV. It wouldn’t matter but the
> most recent stuff I can find seems a few years old, with the
> www.mythtv.org page being dated 2015 and Myth has moved quite a bit
> since then in terms of dependencies and so on.
>
> So if there is a good installer guide out there that’s great, but not
> expecting that, it is an open source community project after all.
>
> Just looking for any tips, which RPM repo is best, any particular
> suggestions 0.29/0.30 that kind of thing, important dependencies etc. ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Cheers

I run MythTV under Scientific Linux 7, another RHEL7 near-clone.  For
some time now I have built rpms of master from source, but a commit a
few days ago broke that build system (for Fedora too) and I don't yet
have a fix.  I use MythTV as a desktop application and my builds for el7
have libvpx disabled.

I don't know your reason for wanting to use el7 for myth, but it *is* a
minority choice.  More people have experience of using *buntu.

I can't speak from recent experience of myth and el7-repos, but this
thread might help.  I used ATRPMS (precursor of SCRPMS) until it folded
but ISTR that in the distant past it had had compatibility issues.

https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/625248#625248

John P