[mythtv-users] LINHES setup confusion

Tom Harris thom.j.harris at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 16:43:15 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 2:25 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 11:38:57 -0600, you wrote:
>
> >Gave up fighting to make MythTV run on Xubuntu and decided to try LINHES.
> >
> >LINHES is promoted as being an appliance that can be up and running in
> >20 minutes, but coming from MythBuntu and using Jarod Wilson's guide for
> >running on Fedora, I find the LINHES distro to be confusing.
> >
> >Specifically:
> >
> >I can't seem to figure out where in the setup I can enter my login and
> >password for Schedules Direct. I would expect to find it in
> >mythtv-setup/settings/Video Sources, and I can select Schedules Direct
> >there, but exactly where do I enter my Schedules Direct login and
> password?
> >
> >Marvin
>
> The new mythtv-setup works a little differently, and it takes a while
> to get used to it.  On Schedules Direct, you should see an > symbol at
> the right.  That means use the right arrow to get more options.  When
> you do that, the login and password are there.

I recently rebuilt my Myth Backend after running a Mythbuntu backend for
quite a few years.

I found LinHES to be an excellent distro for this purpose.  It installs
with no hassles and pre-configures a lot of useful things - like a VNC
server to access the X-based things like mythtv-setup.  I was up and
running in under a half hour with my new ESXi VM-based backend and
HDhomerun Prime.

But, I was also a little confused by mythtv-setup.  The menu options could
be clearer, it wasn't obvious where all the settings were nested.