[mythtv-users] mythtv frontend on Chromebook

Ken Mandelberg km at mathcs.emory.edu
Wed Jul 10 17:25:41 UTC 2019

I've tried a variety of ways to run a mythfrontend on a fairly new but
inexpensive chromebook. What hasn't worked for me:

The Linux container support doesn't have video hardware acceleration and
is too slow.

The Android Kodi app says it has acceleration, but it doesn't do
anything for my chromebook. Much too slow.

The external media players vlc and Xplayer apparently know how to use
the hardware because they play at full speed.

I can use the "old" mythtv player for android which can use the external
players. However, its very limited as a frontend beyond just
select/play. Beyond that it doesn't seem to properly handle videos not
directly recorded by the backend.

I know there is some other android development, but that seems to just
be targeted at Nvidia Sheld and Amazon Fire.

Is there something I'm missing for Chromebook?