[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner Card 1609 and Pixelation

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 17:45:50 UTC 2019

Hi Devin!

>> I looked at the specs on the 1609 and there is nothing useful there so you just have to try it I guess.
> You're not going to find any of this data.

Which sort of makes sense: manufacturer protecting themselves. I guess I
was sort of hoping to find something along the lines of some radio
tuners stating detecting of as little as x-µV. Gave some information as
to sensitivity but of course not the full story.

> But yeah, as a general rule you'll be better off buying a product that
> was designed in the last couple of years as opposed to a design which
> is 10 years old.  I would suggest trying to stick with a major vendor
> though, as many of the really cheap products don't do very good
> validation of their RF frontend design.

Agree, which is was sort of the underlying question at the beginning of
my thread. My HVR1600 and HVR2250 tuners work fine except in windy
conditions; I have similar issues with the older digital TVs so it seems
a newer generation of tuner might alleviate most of the
pixelation/signal drop out problems, so the 1609 seemed to be a logical
choice. I also know from other products what was a top vendor a decade
ago might me a mediocre one now. Appears Hauppauge is still good.

Barry