[mythtv-users] hdhomerun pixelation

Jay Harbeston jharbestonus at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 17:45:56 UTC 2019

> Here's my take on the HDHR Quatro. I have one. It turns out that SiliconDust has an issue with the firmware that their demodulator vendor gave them.  There are many stations around the US that get 100% signal strength but they have pixelation a lot. If you watch via the HDHomerun config gui in Linux you see the symbol % fall to 0 every few seconds. 1 out of my 5 local stations has this problem.
>
> SD has sent out engineers to measure the problem and has the data now to work with the demodulation vendor on new firmware.
>
> If this is your problem then it's not signal strength.  You can attenuate the signal but no change. A lot of us are discussing this in the SD forum under a thread I started. https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=70166&sid=a52576e9fe24e2d64351d7cb524a1df0#p332783 <https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=70166&sid=a52576e9fe24e2d64351d7cb524a1df0#p332783>

I am currently using 2 HDHR4-2US tuners that replaced 2 HDHR3-2US tuners.
The HDHR3 tuners exhibited the drop every few minutes or so, causing pixellation as you described for one(real channel 46) of the 4 broadcast stations here. This was also a known problem with these tuners before the HDHR4 came out. In earlier versions of the firmware the glitches were longer, and more frequent.

The HDHR4 tuners I currently use do not have this problem for any of the channels available locally.

Every once in awhile, I do some testing with the HDHR3 tuners and I still see the problems with them using the latest firmware for the HDHR3.

Regards.