[mythtv-users] v30 can anyone tell me is it worth upgrading?

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Sun Feb 17 01:02:49 UTC 2019

> On 17 Feb 2019, at 3:01 am, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
>> Personally I'm still using 0.27 on Ubuntu 14.04 for those systems
>> dedicated to TV watching only.
>
> I'm still on 0.26. After backporting a few patches, there are two
> flaws/lack of support I notice after recently moving and getting a new
> cable provider:
>
> 1. A bug in VDA hardware decoding that causes MythFrontend on my Mac to
>   freeze at certain points in a h.264 recording when
>   skipping. Workaround: Create a playback filter, with top priority,
>   that uses Standard (ffmpeg) decoding when a recording is exactly
>   1280x720, the resolution all the MPEG4 channels my cable provider
>   uses.
> 2. Lack of closed captions for h.264 in the aforementioned
>   channels. Workaround: None, but I can live without captions in such
>   cases.
>
> I know 2 has since been implemented (backporting it to 0.26 was beyond
> my abilities); hopefully 1 has been fixed, but couldn't find a mention
> in code.mythtv.org. If it has been that would be incentive for me to
> upgrade.
>
> --
> Frontend:		Apple MacBook Pro 2012 2.6GHz with 1TB SSD
> Backend:		HP Microserver N40L 1.5GHz with 4x3TB HDDs
> Tuners:			Three from CableCARD plus two over-the-air

I’m using 29
I am making a serious effort to use the mythweb backend as I can’t get the php mythweb to run on Suse leap 15.0
I use php-mythweb on an ubuntu VM because there are occasions where :6544 just won’t do (I filed some tickets)
I recently changed my dual haupauge to quad siliconedust tuners.

Somewhere in the above three items the scheduler is AFU.
I set it to record 1 show.

Two tuners record THAT channel and show.
Has mythbackend corrupted the DB?

In most areas the devs have made a really nice intuitave interface.
The scheduler is an exception.

EG the ABC shows weekend news on one or more of it’s 4 mux’s.
I want to record 1 showing every week at that time but oh how it fails, recording upto 4 showings.

Here duplicates do not help, title and subtitle are the same every week.

So Record All Showings - this day and time - (What does First showing do)

So looking at the above is 30 a worth while change?
I’ll spelunk the DB, but are there any suggestions - I’d like to drop the DB and start over BUT save all the video meta data. (I presume one needs to save the list in order to keep the meta data)

James