[mythtv-users] Replace nVidia and use onboard AMD Ryzen 5 3400G Radeon Vega instead

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Mon Dec 30 18:50:07 UTC 2019

On Sunday, December 29, 2019 11:52:45 PM MST Gregorio Gervasio Jr. wrote:
> > I was using nVidia akmod-nvidia on my old FE/BE when it died. My new
> > motherboard has
> >
> > Dec 29 09:48:55 tv kernel: smpboot: CPU0: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon
> > Vega Graphics (family: 0x17, model: 0x18, stepping: 0x1)
> >
> > and being that I switched from Intel to AMD, akmod-nvidia fails.
> >
> > So I can either 1) try to get the nVidia akmod working again, or 2) ditch
> > it and go with the onboard Radeon.
> >
> > Would #1 even be possible? It would make life easier.
> >
> > How would I do #2? All the "uninstall nVidia" I can Google is about
> > reverting to the Nouveau driver, but I can't find how to get rid of the
> > akmod-nvidia AND Nouveau and just let Fedora use the onboard Radeon.
>
> It's not clear why akmod-nvidia fails for you but I've already done #2
> for two of my systems (first one couldn't drive a new 4k TV; second one
> was becoming flaky and was using legacy nVidia drivers that stopped
> working for newer kernels).

I think it failed because I replaced an Intel motherboard with an AMD board
and I get this from dmesg:

[    9.194493] NVRM: The NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS GPU installed in this system is
               NVRM:  supported through the NVIDIA 340.xx Legacy drivers.
Please
               NVRM:  visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
               NVRM:  information.  The 375.66 NVIDIA driver will ignore
               NVRM:  this GPU.  Continuing probe...
[    9.194498] NVRM: No NVIDIA graphics adapter found!

I haven't rebooted the machine for almost 2 years until I replaced the mb and
this is the first I've seen of this message - it's always Just Worked.

> I think you can just do:
>
> dnf remove xorg-x11-drv-nvidia akmod-nvidia
>
> If you were using legacy drivers, you'll have to add "-340xx" or
> "-390xx", whichever version you were using.
>
> I use the open source AMD drivers (but I don't use VAAPI):
>
> dnf install xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu

I understand that the Radeon does VDPAU though...

I'm quite out of my league here...

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca