[mythtv-users] Replace nVidia and use onboard AMD Ryzen 5 3400G Radeon Vega instead

Gregorio Gervasio Jr. gregorio.gervasio at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 06:52:45 UTC 2019

> I was using nVidia akmod-nvidia on my old FE/BE when it died. My new
> motherboard has

> Dec 29 09:48:55 tv kernel: smpboot: CPU0: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega
> Graphics (family: 0x17, model: 0x18, stepping: 0x1)

> and being that I switched from Intel to AMD, akmod-nvidia fails.

> So I can either 1) try to get the nVidia akmod working again, or 2) ditch it
> and go with the onboard Radeon.

> Would #1 even be possible? It would make life easier.

> How would I do #2? All the "uninstall nVidia" I can Google is about reverting
> to the Nouveau driver, but I can't find how to get rid of the akmod-nvidia AND
> Nouveau and just let Fedora use the onboard Radeon.

It's not clear why akmod-nvidia fails for you but I've already done #2
for two of my systems (first one couldn't drive a new 4k TV; second one
was becoming flaky and was using legacy nVidia drivers that stopped
working for newer kernels).

I think you can just do:

dnf remove xorg-x11-drv-nvidia akmod-nvidia

If you were using legacy drivers, you'll have to add "-340xx" or
"-390xx", whichever version you were using.

I use the open source AMD drivers (but I don't use VAAPI):

dnf install xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu

There's no need to uninstall the nouveau drivers.

Gregorio Gervasio Jr.        gregorio.gervasio at gmail.com