[mythtv-users] New video receiver doesn't work with Nvidia HDMI.

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 22:46:30 UTC 2019

On Sun, Dec 29, 2019, 7:59 AM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 3:15 PM Kenneth Emerson <kenneth.emerson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 6:54 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I wonder why you are using a DVI output for this. DVI does not support
>>> higher than 1920x1080. DVI and HDCP 2.2 will not be compatible. Does
>>> your video card not have an HDMI output? I can't believe that a video
>>> card that has HDCP 2.2 does not have an HDMI output.
>>>

>> I'm using the DVI -> HDMI cable because it was convenient.  The NVIDIA
>> board had two outputs: DVI and HDMI.  At the time the DVI->HDMI was the
>> cable I had available.
>>
>> But on the original note, I believe I found my problem.  The TV is 4k so
>> its native resolution was 3840x2160.  The Denon saw this and reported this
>> back to the video card.  The card I had was old and didn't support anything
>> above 1920x1080 and for whatever reason the 3 pieces of hardware got
>> confused.  I suspect that if I had been smart enough to connect another
>> monitor and set the default resolution to 1920x1080 instead of AUTO, it
>> might have worked.  What I did do was replace the video card with one that
>> supported resolutions well above 3840x1160.  Using the same cable, upon
>> boot-up, the system came up at 3840x2160.  Yea!!
>>
>> Since my chosen menu system (Blue Abstract) didn't support above
>> 1920x1080, I set the default resolution back to 1920x1080 and all is well
>> now.
>>
>> And just FYI: 4k on a big screen (65") with HDR is truly awesome!  Didn't
>> think I would be that impressed, but there is a big difference.  (Yes, I
>> know that I won't see it through MythTV because of my default resolution,
>> but through 4k Blu-Ray disks it's definitely the bees' knees.  I'm going to
>> check to see how much trouble it is to convert Blue Abstract to 3840x2160.
>>

> You should just be able to tell mythfrontend to not use GUI size for
> playback and let it autoswitch depending on the video size.  You would have
> to have BluRay rips or home video to get anything in the US to autoswitch
> to 4k though (or personally recorded videos / free internet streams).
>
> Your TV's built in upscaler (most have them), should upscale everything to
> 4K already though..

Thanks, that solved many problems including getting the Denon on-screen
display to work. I set the GUI to 3840x2160 to match the screen's
resolution which automatically rescaled the menu system. It also solved a
problem with audio delay with myth recordings (although I don't understand
why).  The picture and sound is now great. Thanks again.

-- Ken E.