[mythtv-users] Shield TV OpenSLES vs. AudioTrack?

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 18:54:03 UTC 2019

On 12/20/19 12:39 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 12/19/19 4:38 PM, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>> So with the Shield working fine and mythtv-frontend playing great
>> video and audio under OpenSLES I went into setting and changed to
>> AudioTrack and selected the Digital content type. Surround was
>> already selected in the Android setting and set to automatically
>> choose based on content.
>>
>> I used the Setup Wizard High Definition test video as a test case.
>> It played, but no sound. If I switch just the AudioTrack back to
>> OpenSLES, then it works fine.
>>
>> So I'm not sure where to go with this.
>>
>> Jim A
>
> I don't know if the setup wizard works correctly. I suggest try with
> some recordings. If the sound breaks up, try turning off the sound
> system and see what you can hear through the TV speakers. this will
> tell if the problem is in the Shield or in the connection between TV
> and sound system.
>
> Another question - does your setup play correctly with leanfront or
> other applications? This may help narrow down the problem.

So in my current setup mythtv-leanfront sounds like it is true 5.1
surround and plays best of all my Frontends. Mythtv-frontend with
OpenSLES sounds more like all speaker stereo but there is not a lot of
easy to tell 5.1 like some action movies.  Both in my mind are very good
players with leanfront having smoother video and the best audio, but for
watching TV casually, both are excellent. Also Kodi 18.5 on the Shield
plays the same programs great as well. So the content on the backend is
great.

Now for AudoTrack testing.

With the AV receiver off and the TV in speaker mode OpenSLES, with
stereo set, works like in normal viewing mode; sound is clean but
stereo. With AudioTrack stereo, sound is okay, but the picture is not as
smooth. More choppy in action scenes or panning. My current Shield
setting are per the Android mythtv wiki the best I can see.  I'm going
to play with those in AudioTrack mode to see what helps or hurts.

For me OpenSLES mode works since I have the receiver in multichannel
stereo mode 90% of the time. And more and more I use leanfront for most
of my watching of recordings. Mythtv-frontend is more to control and
setup recordings.

I'll report back on what I find by working with the shield profile.

Jim A