[mythtv-users] Shield TV OpenSLES vs. AudioTrack?

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 21:38:56 UTC 2019

On 12/19/19 3:40 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 12/19/19 11:07 AM, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>> On the Android Mythtv wiki it suggests for the Shield TV that you
>> should use AudioTrack in the audio options instead of OpenSLES.
>>
>> However, when I switch from OpenSLES to AudioTrack I get audio that
>> breaks up and goes mute. OpenSLES seems to work fine.  I'm on
>> mythtv-frontend for android v31-pre 539 with a backend that is V30.
>>
>> Should I just keep using OpenSLES or is there something else wrong
>> with my settings?
>>
>> I've followed the Wiki as closely as I can for the Shield.
>>
>> My Shield TV is connected to my Samsung UHD 4K via HDMI and the TV
>> sends the audio via optical cable to my AV Receiver. It's a 5.1
>> speaker system and Samsung says they send out the audio from TV to AV
>> Receiver in DTS format.
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> OpenSLES is only for stereo. Digital pass through may work in some
> cases but that is not officially supported by OpenSLES.
>
> To get pass through of AC3 or other formats you need AudioTrack. I
> suggest you try using AudioTrack and turning on the digital options in
> MythTV for AC3 and others. This should pass  the surround sound signal
> through to the TV and the receiver. Also make sure the surround
> options in Shield settings are enabled.

So with the Shield working fine and mythtv-frontend playing great video
and audio under OpenSLES I went into setting and changed to AudioTrack
and selected the Digital content type. Surround was already selected in
the Android setting and set to automatically choose based on content.

I used the Setup Wizard High Definition test video as a test case.  It
played, but no sound. If I switch just the AudioTrack back to OpenSLES,
then it works fine.

So I'm not sure where to go with this.

Jim A