[mythtv-users] Sheild tv; theme & minor teething issues

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Thu Dec 19 07:45:36 UTC 2019

 ---- On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 03:55:19 +0000 David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote ----
 > On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 04:36:58PM -0600, David Engel wrote:
 > > On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 08:20:23PM +0000, Tim Draper wrote:
 > > > Finally, no cpu usage in the playback menu > playback > playback data. i assume a bug/limitation but would be good to have it working for if/when things aren't playing right.
 > >
 > > According to the code, getting the CPU data should work the same as it
 > > does on Linux.  Apparently, it isn't.  I'll try to look into it.
 >
 > As of Anroid O, non-system apps can no longer get CPU usage for
 > security reasons. :(  You'll have to root your Shield if you want to
 > get that feature back.
 >
 > David
 > --
 > David Engel
 > david at istwok.net

Interesting - while i'm not disagreeing with you, i've not heard that one before! that did cross my mind as a possible reason to it not working. Would also explain why my 'new' work phone (oreo/8) doesn't show the expected cpu performance when my old rooted oreo phone did.
'top' via adb did show the cpu usage (as you say, system apps work). maybe an inefficient way from the current method but couldn't a workaround be put in place to awk top? I'm certainly no software dev so don't know what the current method is or do's/don'ts for such features. I'd assume relatively performance heavy if it's calling top every n/secs.

eh, it's fine. Playback data OSD would obviously be the easiest, but can always adb into the shield for that rare time I'd need to see it.