[mythtv-users] Sheild tv; theme & minor teething issues

David Engel david at istwok.net
Thu Dec 19 15:42:29 UTC 2019

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 07:45:36AM +0000, Tim Draper wrote:
>  ---- On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 03:55:19 +0000 David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote ----
>  > On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 04:36:58PM -0600, David Engel wrote:
>  > > On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 08:20:23PM +0000, Tim Draper wrote:
>  > > > Finally, no cpu usage in the playback menu > playback > playback data. i assume a bug/limitation but would be good to have it working for if/when things aren't playing right.
>  > >
>  > > According to the code, getting the CPU data should work the same as it
>  > > does on Linux.  Apparently, it isn't.  I'll try to look into it.
>  >
>  > As of Anroid O, non-system apps can no longer get CPU usage for
>  > security reasons. :(  You'll have to root your Shield if you want to
>  > get that feature back.
>  >
>  > David
>  > --
>  > David Engel
>  > david at istwok.net
>  >

> Interesting - while i'm not disagreeing with you, i've not heard that one before! that did cross my mind as a possible reason to it not working. Would also explain why my 'new' work phone (oreo/8) doesn't show the expected cpu performance when my old rooted oreo phone did.

Search for Android and /proc/stat.

> 'top' via adb did show the cpu usage (as you say, system apps work). maybe an inefficient way from the current method but couldn't a workaround be put in place to awk top? I'm certainly no software dev so don't know what the current method is or do's/don'ts for such features. I'd assume relatively performance heavy if it's calling top every n/secs.

I don't know how, or even if, spawning other programs works in
Android.  I'm not optimistic it would work, though, as the problem is
not being able to open /proc/stat and other /proc files.

If somebody is really ambitious, I'd suggest writing a small, system
app which runs in the background and serves the CPU usage via a
socket.  MythTV could then read from that app.

David