[mythtv-users] Setting up CEC remote for Raspberry PI 4B for Mythtv-light

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Mon Aug 26 16:55:15 UTC 2019

On 8/26/19 11:46 AM, James Abernathy wrote:

> On 8/26/19 8:56 AM, Jay Harbeston wrote:
>>
>>> On Aug 26, 2019, at 5:37 AM, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:

>>> Thanks, I got the select, stop, pause and play buttons working along
>>> with the arrows, so that's all I need.
>>>
>>> You are right about the slowness of the CEC response. For my
>>> application it's works and it better than rigging yet another remote
>>>
>>> Jim A
>>>

>> I am using the following occasionally on my RPis and it works well.
>> Good thing is it has a qwerty keyboard on the backside of the remote
>> and works like a regular keyboard. No LIRC drivers or any other
>> ‘funny business’.
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/Favormates-Wireless-Keyboard-Infrared-Raspberry/dp/B01N0SUUZS/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=favormates+air+remote&qid=1566824147&s=gateway&sr=8-3
>>

>> Regards!
>
> Thanks,
>
> At $14.99 you can't go wrong.  Just bought one, should be here
> tomorrow. I actually have a full sized IOgear keyboard with
> trackball/mouse.  It works well for me as I can remember all the
> keyboard commands.  The Wife, not so much :-)

I have been using remotes similar to this one for several years, and
they are mostly great. The only oddity is that some of the keys generate
mouse events rather than keypresses. This article hints at the remote's
features and quirks:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Air_mouse_rf_remote

Most important is this quote: "The rightmost key (with the “U-turn”
arrow) generates the right mouse button whether the mouse is on or off
and probably can't be used for other purposes." Well, it can, if you use
xbindkeys, similar to this article:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/19569/how-can-i-assign-actions-to-all-my-mouse-buttons#308969

(I would post my config, but I can't get to it right now.)