[mythtv-users] Guidance for phase 9

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 20:26:47 UTC 2019

On 8/12/19, Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> In planning for Phase 9 channel reassignments scheduled for next year I
> found this quote (paraphrase):
>
> "MythTV rescan is just too difficult so I did it manually and it only took
> 4 hours"
>
> Not what I wanted to find. Can someone point me to how this should be done.
> Specifically, I find four possibilities on how this might be done in two
> menus:
> In Connect Source to Inputs
> 1) Scan for Channels
> 2) Fetch channels from Listing Source
>
> In Channel Editor
> 1) Channel Scan
> 2) Edit Transports
>
> I have learned the hard way not to just experiment so I am asking for
> guidance.
>
> I have two HD Homerun dual tuners (first generation) so I have four capture
> cards listed and connected to a single Video Source called "Antenna North"
> which is linked to Schedules Direct. All the capture cards are apparently
> set up as MPEG2TS.
>
> My system is Mythbuntu 14.04.1 LTS and MythTV fixes/0.28
>
> Is there some documentation or can someone give me some specific guidance
> for doing the required rescan or other channel reassignment process.
>
> Allen

I just replied to a thread from James Abernathy with the subject "USA
OTA FCC frequency rescan?" that you may want to check out. As far as I
know, the biggest pitfall of the channel rescan in mythtv-setup is the
possibility of new channels getting created when you really want to
just change the frequency of existing channels. This (also as far as I
know) is caused by the station changing the callsign that gets
reported from the signal itself.

Assuming you have something that can be used to just scan channels to
a file as I describe in that reply, you should be able to use the
channel editor to change and callsigns to the new ones before doing
the rescan to prevent that.

I'm actually one of those who's written utilities of my own to
manually change frequencies surgically, but again, I believe those
callsign changes are the main source of unwanted results.

Tom