[mythtv-users] mythtv FE/BE combo for an RV?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 21:38:28 UTC 2019

> On Aug 8, 2019, at 3:01 PM, Mike Bibbings <mike.bibbings at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 08/08/2019 18:59, James Abernathy wrote:
>> While on a recent 4 month RV trip my main mythtv backend at home ran great and recorded all our show.  I tried to use an RP3B+ to provide similar OTA DVR features in my RV as we moved around.  I could not get this working with Mythtv Light before I left.  So on the RP3 B+, I used LibreELEC and TVH server/client and it sort of worked, but a big pain to setup each stop and it was not forgiving on signal issues in remote areas.
>>
>> So now that I'm home I'm trashing the RP3 B+ and going to build a mythtv FE/BE combo on a Intel NUC with Xubuntu 18.04 LTS and Mythtv v30. I have it working with HDHR Connect Duo tuners and EIT EPG data.
>>
>> So my questions are these:
>>
>> 1.  The System Information page asks the question, Is mythfilldatabase running?  I think that I can ignore this since my guide data is OTA EPG provided by me setting the Video Sources to EIT only.  Right??
>>
>> 2. When I move locations in the RV, obviously I need to rescan for the new channels.  I'm thinking something like: in mythtv-setup run the channel scan in Input Connections on the first tuner and the rest will just follow along? Then allow time for the EPG data to fill in.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> For 1. this message can be ignored  as long as  EIT kicks in and starts populating the Guide Data, for me it usually starts after around 5 minutes.
>
> For 2. you probably want to delete all existing channels before doing a new channel scan, mythtv-setup might retain channels for your old location which could cause failed recordings/LiveTV if you just redo channel scan.
>
> Easy way to delete the previous channels before a new channel scan is to use mythtv-setup>Channel Editor>Delete, then run Channel Scan on the same screen.
>

> Setting up mythtv-backend on Raspberry RP3 B+  is a time consuming manual process.
>
> Whilst dong some work on a Raspberry Pi4 I wrote a script to automate the process of setting up mythbackend having installed mythtv-light, it also works on Pi 3 see https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3232#p15773
>

> Mike

Your tip on deleting channels via mythtv-setup>Channel Editor>Delete, then run Channel Scan on the same screen works great.  So I’ll do that on my next trip. I’m toying with using the NUC as a backend only and the RP3 B+ as a Kodi FE. That way I could switch to a 4 channel HDHR Quatro. Couldn’t do that with an RP3 backend.

Jim A