[mythtv-users] mythtv FE/BE combo for an RV?

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 19:01:38 UTC 2019

On 08/08/2019 18:59, James Abernathy wrote:
> While on a recent 4 month RV trip my main mythtv backend at home ran
> great and recorded all our show.  I tried to use an RP3B+ to provide
> similar OTA DVR features in my RV as we moved around.  I could not get
> this working with Mythtv Light before I left.  So on the RP3 B+, I
> used LibreELEC and TVH server/client and it sort of worked, but a big
> pain to setup each stop and it was not forgiving on signal issues in
> remote areas.
>
> So now that I'm home I'm trashing the RP3 B+ and going to build a
> mythtv FE/BE combo on a Intel NUC with Xubuntu 18.04 LTS and Mythtv
> v30. I have it working with HDHR Connect Duo tuners and EIT EPG data.
>
> So my questions are these:
>
> 1.  The System Information page asks the question, Is mythfilldatabase
> running?  I think that I can ignore this since my guide data is OTA
> EPG provided by me setting the Video Sources to EIT only.  Right??
>
> 2. When I move locations in the RV, obviously I need to rescan for the
> new channels.  I'm thinking something like: in mythtv-setup run the
> channel scan in Input Connections on the first tuner and the rest will
> just follow along? Then allow time for the EPG data to fill in.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Jim A

For 1. this message can be ignored  as long as  EIT kicks in and starts
populating the Guide Data, for me it usually starts after around 5 minutes.

For 2. you probably want to delete all existing channels before doing a
new channel scan, mythtv-setup might retain channels for your old
location which could cause failed recordings/LiveTV if you just redo
channel scan.

Easy way to delete the previous channels before a new channel scan is to
use mythtv-setup>Channel Editor>Delete, then run Channel Scan on the
same screen.

Setting up mythtv-backend on Raspberry RP3 B+  is a time consuming
manual process.

Whilst dong some work on a Raspberry Pi4 I wrote a script to automate
the process of setting up mythbackend having installed mythtv-light, it
also works on Pi 3 see
https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3232#p15773

Mike