[mythtv-users] Kernel 4.18 regression with some tuners

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 16:18:54 UTC 2018

On Sat, Sep 8, 2018 at 2:02 PM Adam Stylinski <kungfujesus06 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently upgraded from kernel 4.17.1 to 4.18.6 and found out that I
> could no longer tune to any channels.  The channel scan in the mythtv-setup
> program would give me a non-sense error when trying to tune (it'd read
> "Cannot measure Signal Strength" and the error message was unknown error
> 254).  I was convinced that somehow all 3 of my PC HDTV 5500 PCI tuners had
> finally died, or something goofy was happening on my PCI controller with
> interrupts.  After playing around long enough, I decided to downgrade to an
> older but still supported kernel (4.17.19).  After that, I was able to tune
> to channels like before.  What tipped me off was this bug report filed from
> another consume of media devices in the kernel:
> https://tvheadend.org/issues/5183
>
> That seems to indicate the exact git revision where the regression
> occurred.  Has anyone else had issues with this kernel and know if and what
> details should be included in a post to LKML for this regression?

 I ran Myth 0.21 for 10 years and never upgraded.  When a hard drive broke,
I did an upgrade but to a version back a few as the newest versions had
bugs too large to work around.  Even then, there were bugs that I had to
deal with but as this was a two year old version, there were workarounds
online. Back 10 years ago, after I did my first upgrade and broke by system
someone told me words to live by "Never upgrade".  I will admit that
"never" may be too long but I would never upgrade without a good reason to
do so, like for example your browser quit being supported and no longer
works.

But it is nice to report bugs so good you did so.