[mythtv-users] Mythbackend recording glitches

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 05:18:21 UTC 2018

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 9:35 PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 20:58:28 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 7:54 PM Stephen Worthington <
> >stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> empty.
> out. It
> >>
> >> I have noticed just in the last few days that the swap usage on my
> >> main MythTV system has completely disappeared, and on my mother's
> >> system has reduced a great deal.  So I am wondering if a bug that was
> >> causing it has just been fixed.  So if you are using the MythTV
> >> version from the main Ubuntu repositories, I would recommend adding
> >> the MythTV PPA and updating to the latest "fixes" version from there:
> >>
> >> https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu
> >>
> >> This is my current version (mythutil --version):
> >>
> >> MythTV Version : v29.1-41-gd8a2db7
> >> MythTV Branch : fixes/29
> >> Network Protocol : 91
> >> Library API : 29.20180316-1
> >> QT Version : 5.9.5
> >> Options compiled in:
> >>  linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse
> >> using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl
> >> using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_crystalhd using_dvb
> >> using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_vbox using_ceton
> >> using_hdpvr using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec
> >> using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2
> >> using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl using_opengl_video
> >> using_opengl_themepainter using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus
> >> using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv
> >> using_profiletype using_systemd_notify using_systemd_journal
> >> using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php
> >> using_freetype2 using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vaapi
> >> using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2
> >> using_libmp3lame
> >>
> >> Also recently, there has been a significant speedup in the scheduler
> >> that is well worth having.
> >>

> >Stephen said: "So if you are using the MythTV version from the main Ubuntu
> >repositories"
> >
> >I am using Mythbuntu 16. Am I using that version?
> >
> >dad at NewMyth:~$ mythutil --version
> >MythTV Version : v0.28-2-g15cf421
> >MythTV Branch : fixes/0.28
> >Network Protocol : 88
> >Library API : 0.28.20160309-1
> >QT Version : 5.5.1
> >Options compiled in:
> > linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse
> >using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
> >using_bindings_php using_crystalhd using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend
> >using_hdhomerun using_vbox using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv
> >using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd
> >using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl
> >using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_sdl
> >using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_profiletype
> >using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php
> [...]
dad at NewMyth:~$ apt-cache policy mythtv
mythtv:
  Installed: 2:0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf421-0ubuntu2
  Candidate: 2:0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf421-0ubuntu2
  Version table:
 *** 2:0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf421-0ubuntu2 500
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/multiverse i386
Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

You may recall that I never upgrade so updates is turned off.  It was
advice I got 10 years ago when I first started using MythTV.  I got it just
after doing my first upgrade which broke the system.

However, in the course of this long path, I down versioned because of some
bug with the 6200 video card and am running 16.04.1 where I should be
running 16.04.5.  Damn...

So dare I upgrade or will I just totally break everything.

I have been reading to try and find how to do a simple upgrade so that I
might have 16.04.5 and the mythtv upgrade you are talking about.

I think what I do is to get the update is this, but does this get it all?
And is this correct? Does it update everything I need to update?

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.28
sudo apt-get update

Allen