[mythtv-users] Mythbackend recording glitches

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Oct 25 04:35:27 UTC 2018

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 20:58:28 -0700, you wrote:

>On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 7:54 PM Stephen Worthington <
>stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 15:40:48 -0700, you wrote:
>>

>> >9) There is still swap used as time goes on which I don't understand.
>> >Right now I am recording and doing a mythcomfilter and the swap is empty.
>> >Tomorrow the swap will be in use and files will be swapping in and out. It
>> >is like a swaping leak.
>>
>> I have noticed just in the last few days that the swap usage on my
>> main MythTV system has completely disappeared, and on my mother's
>> system has reduced a great deal.  So I am wondering if a bug that was
>> causing it has just been fixed.  So if you are using the MythTV
>> version from the main Ubuntu repositories, I would recommend adding
>> the MythTV PPA and updating to the latest "fixes" version from there:
>>
>> https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu
>>
>> This is my current version (mythutil --version):
>>
>> MythTV Version : v29.1-41-gd8a2db7
>> MythTV Branch : fixes/29
>> Network Protocol : 91
>> Library API : 29.20180316-1
>> QT Version : 5.9.5
>> Options compiled in:
>>  linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse
>> using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl
>> using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_crystalhd using_dvb
>> using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_vbox using_ceton
>> using_hdpvr using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec
>> using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2
>> using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl using_opengl_video
>> using_opengl_themepainter using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus
>> using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv
>> using_profiletype using_systemd_notify using_systemd_journal
>> using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php
>> using_freetype2 using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vaapi
>> using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2
>> using_libmp3lame
>>
>> Also recently, there has been a significant speedup in the scheduler
>> that is well worth having.
>>

>Stephen said: "So if you are using the MythTV version from the main Ubuntu
>repositories"
>
>I am using Mythbuntu 16. Am I using that version?
>
>dad at NewMyth:~$ mythutil --version
>MythTV Version : v0.28-2-g15cf421
>MythTV Branch : fixes/0.28
>Network Protocol : 88
>Library API : 0.28.20160309-1
>QT Version : 5.5.1
>Options compiled in:
> linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse
>using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
>using_bindings_php using_crystalhd using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend
>using_hdhomerun using_vbox using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv
>using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd
>using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl
> [...]

If you have not installed the PPA, then you will be using the version
from the main repository.  Which only gets updated very rarely.  But
your version is showing as fixes/0.28, which I believe should be the
PPA version.  But it is possible that a later version has been pushed
to the main repository.  To find out, run this command:

apt-cache policy mythtv

This is what I get:

mythtv:
  Installed: 2:29.1+fixes.20181018.d8a2db7-0ubuntu0mythbuntu2
  Candidate: 2:29.1+fixes.20181018.d8a2db7-0ubuntu0mythbuntu2
  Version table:
 *** 2:29.1+fixes.20181018.d8a2db7-0ubuntu0mythbuntu2 500
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.29/ubuntu bionic/main
amd64 Packages
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.29/ubuntu bionic/main
i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2:29.1+fixes.20180414.329c235-0ubuntu3 500
        500 http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/multiverse
amd64 Packages
        500 http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/multiverse i386
Packages

The top of my list is ppa.launchpad.net, so that is where I am getting
my packages from.  Further down the list is the mirror I am getting
the main repository packages from: nz.archive.ubuntu.com.

Note that I am on v29 - you are still on 0.28, so it is possible that
0.28 will not have had this bug fix.