[mythtv-users] Unable to record from EPG

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 18:06:12 UTC 2018

On 09/10/18 18:33, Alan Bak wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am new to MythTV but am somewhat familiar with Linux, Mysql and
> Perl. I have setup the MythTV (Ver .28) master back end on Ubuntu
> 16.04 server with a Hauppage WinTV-quadHD tuner card. I have a
> dedicated drive for storing recordings separately from the system
> disk. The front end is currently running on a Mac Mini.
>
> I am able to view channels, selecting them from the EPG. If I am
> watching a channel and select record (R) the program is recorded to
> the storage drive. If I select a program to record in the future from
> the EPG the recording never happens. I have looked at the record table
> in the mythconverg database and the recording times are 4hrs later
> than the times shown in the EPG? I have updated the starttime,
> startade, endtime, enddate in the record table to match the actual
> airtime of the program but this does not seem to be  the issue as no
> recording is created.
>
> I have been searching the internet for solutions to this problem but
> am not finding much that is relevant. Any ideas where I should start?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Alan

Where are you located e.g Country ?

If you are running the standard Ubuntu kernel (4.15 series ?) expect
problems with the quadHD card. You need to run a custom Hauppauge kernel
see README.md at
https://github.com/b-rad-NDi/Ubuntu-media-tree-kernel-builder
Additionally if you are using the quadHD DVB-T/T2 version (not atsc) you
will also need to install hauppauge firmware sudo apt install
linux-firmware-hauppauge

You should not need to change starttime etc in record table. I am
assuming your 16.04 server has correct date/time settings.

Is there anything in the mythtv backend log
(/var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log) relating to storage groups (I suspect
a permissions issue with the default recording group) it needs to be set
using mythtv-setup and have the appropriate linux permissions for user
mythtv ?

Also check the output of dmesg for cx23885 related errors e.g. mpeg risc
error

Mike