[mythtv-users] hdhrstreamhandler.cpp problem in build of Master for el7 - but not for F28

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 20:25:41 UTC 2018

On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 7:44 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> I abhor using EL/CentOS systems mainly for this reason.  We use CentOS
> 7, and even 6 still, at work because "it's the standard".  We have
> locally built version of half the system in /usr/local becasue what's
> in /usr is so old.  Why can't they implement a reasonable backports
> mechanism?

IBM heard you! (Ok, it is not IBM yet).  Stable APIs and current versions
have not historically worked well, and everyone knew it, but the new
modularity approach and AppStreams will be changing that to allow
must easier coexistence of the old/current/new (or whatever makes
naming sense) versions.  And there are also Flatpaks for a different
need.  And containers for other needs.  All have a place.  (I had
been thinking that the FE may be able to be flatpak-able, but I have
not really looked at doing so (adding it to my infinitely countable
todo list does not get anything actually done these days))

> .. I'm in the minority, though, so I tend to keep quiet about it.

Too late (about the quiet part)?  And while I am just another user
here, I would agree about individuals needing to take ownership
of their own choices.  I like to think I usually try to apply that same
expectation to myself and will do the debugging and submit
patches when I am running something out of the normal.