[mythtv-users] hdhrstreamhandler.cpp problem in build of Master for el7 - but not for F28

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 18:50:24 UTC 2018

On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 3:17 PM David Hampton <mythtv at love2code.net> wrote:
> ... I think we'll
> need to enhance configure to specifically look for the presence of
> load_from_str, and add a new compilation flag with that info.  I should
> be able to recreate this error on my Centos7 builder.

Broken record pet peeve:  All an unfortunate artifact of the lack
of versioning of those libraries (both header and binary) that
SiliconDust was warned years ago was potentially going to be
a problem moving forward, and would require applications to
do various hoop jumping such as this.  it is, however, too late
to go back and do things correctly, so workarounds are needed.

I think the good news is that RHEL8 is getting closer to release
(beta now available), so RSN some of the pain and suffering
of trying to support really old versions of libraries can disappear
from the project devs themselves (at least until RHEL8 moves
to its mid-life crisis), leaving those individuals wanting to support
EL7 in their own lifeboat next to the EL6 lifeboat.