[mythtv-users] Converting from DD to xmltv

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 13:25:25 UTC 2018

Status update: I spoke too soon

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 11:59 AM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 2:42 PM Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks, I'll take a look but subsequent runs seem to complete quickly. I
> think it was just the initial loading of all the data.

I think there's a bug in the reporting. Mythfilldatabase does my OTA source
first and it completes in a few minutes, then it does Comcast. Looking at
the backend stats it says mythfilldatabase finished in about 4 minutes but
I watched it and know that isn't the case, it actually finished much later.
I think it's reporting based on the completion of the first source...

> The memory usage issue is well understood (that was why
> --no-allatonce was introduced).  The better fix for the large
> memory usage would be a refactor of how mythfilldatabase
> reads in and parses the entire xmltv file before starting to
> process the data.  At this point, no one has decided to step
> up and do that refactor, and as DRAM is cheap, it is not
> clear anyone will any time soon (given there are mitigations).

Is there any downside to running --no-allatonce?

It wants to run mythfilldatabase at the same time from when I did it
manually, 8:52 in the morning which is not a good time. I manually went
into mythweb->database and adjusted the next run time (had to convert from
Zulu time).  That way it's not a problem because it does pretty much bring
the computer to a crawl while running and it's closer to an hour...

(**) Certain types of DB configs can trade off performance for
> reliability.  Choose wisely.

I'm pretty much running stock MariaDB from Fedora with some tuning as
recommended from mysqltuner. I can post that in another thread for feedback.

As I mentioned I was planning to upgrade my desktop this year so the
Mythbox would get my hardware, AMD X4 and 16GB memory... But I'm not sure
when that's actually going to happen so for now moving the run time to a
time I don't really care or record anything may be the best "solution".

Thanks,
Richard