[mythtv-users] Lossless transcode for MPEG4 recordings?

john bolan bolanster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 15:41:15 UTC 2018

On 05/11/2018 9:22 a.m., Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 9:49 AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com
> <mailto:pb.mythtv at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     I ran this as a user job after recording. You may have to change it for
>     your environment, it has some out of date things and some things
>     specific to my setup.
>
>     https://github.com/bennettpeter/mythscripts/blob/master/install/opt/mythtv/bin/userjob_mkv.sh
>

> Thanks Peter... I'll give it a try. I tried lossless_cut but it doesn't
> seem to be able to find the python bindings on 0.29 so I guess it needs
> some patching.
>
> There really should be an "official" way of handling this situation...
>
> I saw it referenced notify.py so I copied it over too... What needs to
> be in mythtv.conf? I see it's sourced near the beginning of the script.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

Hi Richard,

You may want to look at the scripts by 'Skinah' at:
https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1261

You can set them as user jobs. I had good experience with lossless
encoding hd-pvr recordings with the 'tv' script in the past, after
configuring it for lossless and adjusting cutpoints to keyframes
(don't know if this last step is actually necessary, just remember it
was needed with RD Vaughn's lossless cut script).

from the script:
#!/bin/sh
# Script written by 'Skinah'.
# This script will export a mythtv recording to a folder in a friendly
readable name that is
# compatible with KODI. It will honor cutlists and also use handbrake to
compress recordings
# to MP4 to save HDD space.
#
# It now supports lossless cutting of MP4 HD footage as well as MPEG2.
# All of this is done without changing Mythtv's database or recordings,
this way if a
# mistake is found in the cutting of the recording then before myth
expires the recording, we can
# rerun the job after adjusting the cutlist manually.

John