[mythtv-users] Linux shell command to check I can tune to MythTV channel (DVB/no vid or aid)?

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 03:21:33 UTC 2018

On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 1:37 PM Zack Jones <zackjones88 at mail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a single Linux shell command that can use to check if
> given the appropriate tuning details it is a valid channel and should be
> tunable by MythTV?
>
> A major problem is that MythTV doesn't seem to use Video PIDs or Audio
> PIDs (I can't find them in the mythconverg database) so most utilities do
> not work and then if these apps could work (e.g. tzap) it still needs a
> further app to see if the tzap is actually viewing a proper channel.
>
> Thanks

I do not have tuners other than HDHRs, but v4l2 should handle it.  I would
imagine the return value would be 0 on success and non-zero on any sort if
failure..

[greg at yoga ~]$ v4l2-ctl --help-tuner

Tuner/Modulator options:
  -F, --get-freq     query the frequency [VIDIOC_G_FREQUENCY]
*  -f, --set-freq=<freq>*
                     set the frequency to <freq> MHz [VIDIOC_S_FREQUENCY]
  -T, --get-tuner    query the tuner settings [VIDIOC_G_TUNER]
  -t, --set-tuner=<mode>
                     set the audio mode of the tuner [VIDIOC_S_TUNER]
                     Possible values: mono, stereo, lang2, lang1, bilingual
  --tuner-index=<idx> Use idx as tuner idx for tuner/modulator commands
*  --list-freq-bands  display all frequency bands for the tuner/modulator*
                     [VIDIOC_ENUM_FREQ_BANDS]
  --get-modulator    query the modulator settings [VIDIOC_G_MODULATOR]
  --set-modulator=<txsubchans>
                     set the sub-carrier modulation [VIDIOC_S_MODULATOR]
                     <txsubchans> is one of:
                     mono: Modulate as mono
                     mono-rds: Modulate as mono with RDS (radio only)
                     stereo: Modulate as stereo
                     stereo-rds: Modulate as stereo with RDS (radio only)
                     bilingual: Modulate as bilingual
                     mono-sap: Modulate as mono with Second Audio Program
                     stereo-sap: Modulate as stereo with Second Audio
Program
                     perform a hardware frequency seek
[VIDIOC_S_HW_FREQ_SEEK]
                     dir is 0 (seek downward) or 1 (seek upward)
                     wrap is 0 (do not wrap around) or 1 (wrap around)
                     spacing sets the seek resolution (use 0 for default)
                     low and high set the low and high seek frequency range
in MHz