[mythtv-users] Poor performance with ZFS (ZFS on Linux)

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Thu May 31 05:53:00 UTC 2018

 ---- On Thu, 31 May 2018 06:24:47 +0100 Mark Wedel <mwedel at sonic.net> wrote ----

 >   I'm running zfs on linux with mythtv, and haven't noticed issues.  But I'm
 > also not doing strict timing comparisons.  Is the 2 minutes to run
 > mythfilldatabase causing problems, or are you just comparing it ext4?  Different
 > filesystems can do different things better - it would not surprise me in some
 > cases that zfs performs worse than ext4, but zfs has lots of features that make
 > it useful, so may be willing to take the performance hit.

i ran zfs years ago on my recordings drive (myth24 era maybe?) and with an out-the-box basic config with no tweaking, found it generally felt slower for mythtv operation. longer buffering times on playback and something about long delete periods both ring a faint bell in the back of my head.
Since i didnt fully understand it all, i ultimately went back to xfs and more recently ext4 and just kept inline with what my distro of choice was using as their default.

i too was draw to zfs's featureset; dedup being the main attraction.