[mythtv-users] Poor performance with ZFS (ZFS on Linux)

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu May 31 05:24:47 UTC 2018

  I'm running zfs on linux with mythtv, and haven't noticed issues.  But I'm
also not doing strict timing comparisons.  Is the 2 minutes to run
mythfilldatabase causing problems, or are you just comparing it ext4?  Different
filesystems can do different things better - it would not surprise me in some
cases that zfs performs worse than ext4, but zfs has lots of features that make
it useful, so may be willing to take the performance hit.

  Looking at my system, it appears it takes about 15 seconds for
mythfilldatabase to run.  But this could also vary based on how much data is
being fed in.

  Likewise, a dump of the entire database (mysqldump -p mythconverg > /dev/null)
takes less than 2 seconds, though that may be mostly because everything is in
memory.  I can't remember for sure, but I think the my.cnf I'm using is based on
a large config - system has 32 GB of ram, so I can afford to give mariadb some
memory to run with.  System also runs zoneminder, so I apparently added these to
the my.cnf at some point:

#
# Suggestion for zoneminder
#
innodb_file_per_table
innodb_log_file_size=512M

  My root filesystem is on ssd.  I did not bother to make a separate dataset
with a non default recordsize - it is using the 128k.

  RE compression/non compression - I was once told that using compression is
almost always a win, because current systems have so much cpu power that the
time to compress the data is trivial, and the fact that you are saving on I/O
operations means you have a net gain.  This may be less true for SSD, where I/O
is pretty fast (and may be even less so for NVME).  But if you are still using
HDD, you probably come out ahead, depending on what you store (the actual
recordings are already compressed, so my compress ratio on those is only 1.06,
so not really much.