[mythtv-users] EOL for MythArchive, MythZoneminder, MythBrowser and MythMusic Re: linking mythtv with zoneminder live view

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 13:22:34 UTC 2018

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 3:00 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 25, 2018, 2:49 PM Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> I'm not using any of the plugins, but someone please tell me the
>> frontend itself isn't going away(?).
>>
> If this actually happens, I guess I'm staying on 29.

I have a feeling that many users (if not the majority) would do the same.

As far as the plugins are concerned, while dropping support for them
would certainly suck for people using them, that part wouldn't
surprise me. I've always been a little surprised that some of those
oddball plugins even existed.

But to be clear, the jump from that to dropping the frontend entirely
(with basic program and video playback) is a million miles for sure.
For most of us who've used MythTV for almost everything we watch on
our TVs (not necessarily other devices...PCs, mobile etc), it would no
longer be the same piece of software at all for sure...a "DVR" that
can't play it's own recordings. To our families that accustomed to it,
the frontend basically *is* MythTV. Hell...most of us won't even
change *themes*, let alone move to a completely different frontend
program...so "just use Kodi" option really is unthinkable.

It's especially a shame given that the frontend has reached a state
where it handles pretty much all video formats (certainly those i run
into) very well.

Seriously sad shit if it happens.

Tom