[mythtv-users] EOL for MythArchive, MythZoneminder, MythBrowser and MythMusic Re: linking mythtv with zoneminder live view

glen glenb at glenb.us
Mon Mar 26 01:11:06 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2018-03-25 at 19:55 -0500, Jack McGee wrote:
> On 03/25/2018 05:15 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
>
> The plan is remove all the plugins and the frontend but leave the
> backend for now. We will be removing them next Sunday for ALL versions.
>
> This will allow us to concentrate on the backend and the Services API
> that 3rd parties can use.
>
> What do you think? Good plan?
>

> I think I will not upgrade past .29 if that happens.  I am not aware of
> any other frontend with the capability of mythfrontend.
>
> Unless you have the buy in of others to improve or create new front ends
> ahead of this, I think it will kill Mythtv.
>
> I have used the KODI plugin and it handles live TV and recordings in
> progress much better than my installation of mythfrontend, but other
> than those use cases, I am using mythfrontend because it is superior in
> all other regards, for me.

i agree with all who would like to see mythfrontend kept alive. kodi to
me is much worse alternative. imho, kodi does not provide a way to
clean up commercial flags with a quick editor. kodi does not provide
frame by frame advance and many other features. mythfrontend provides
much better navigation when playing etc. if it is to be dropped would
it be possible to keep a branch alive with no changes so that myth
could still be built with the frontend as it exists today ?