[mythtv-users] EOL for MythArchive, MythZoneminder, MythBrowser and MythMusic Re: linking mythtv with zoneminder live view

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Mar 26 00:45:12 UTC 2018

On Sun, 25 Mar 2018 22:24:02 +0000, you wrote:

>On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 3:18 PM Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>

>> On 25 March 2018 8:52:30 pm Paul Harrison <mythtv at sky.com> wrote:
>> Yeah we are currently discussing this on the private developers list.
>>
>> The plan is remove all the plugins and the frontend but leave the
>> backend for now. We will be removing them next Sunday for ALL versions.
>>
>> This will allow us to concentrate on the backend and the Services API
>> that 3rd parties can use.
>>
>> What do you think? Good plan?
>>
>> Paul H.
>>
>> If I may ask, where are the developers planning to move their frontends to,
>> or what are the main alternatives?
>>
>> The only two I am aware of are Kodi and Plex. Are there others?

>FWIW, This is basically what I've been asking for for years. Making the
>services API a first class citizen. Simplifying the frontend to do only TV
>stuff (eg. dropping all the plugins) and make it use only the services API.
>This makes the frontend basically a POC to show off what the backend can do
>and then let 3rd party frontends flourish (which probably means assisting
>in their development somewhat).
>
>Thomas

That is a recipe for disaster - it could kill the entire MythTV
project.  The users of MythTV use mythfrontend - that is what they see
and love.  Only a small minority use other frontends (eg Kodi), and
they still have to use mythfrontend for some things Kodi does not do.
Mythfrontend's ability to be used from a remote control and to do
everything that is necessary for excellent and comfortable TV viewing
must remain!  If you want to change how it works underneath to use the
Services API, fine, that is probably a good idea.  But the Services
API is insufficient to be able to make mythfrontend do everything it
needs yet - do NOT remove functionality from mythfrontend.  Make the
Services API fully functional and convert mythfrontend to using it as
the necessary functions are added.

And I would also say that removing all the plugins is a bad idea too.
My mother uses the mythmusic plugin to play her operas.  It is not the
best of user interfaces, but she knows it know and can use it.  Having
to change to something else at her age (85) is not going to happen and
removing mythmusic would stop her from playing her operas without my
help every time.  That would be serious reduction in her quality of
life - she listens to operas every night.  I use mythmusic myself - I
do not play my music collection so much these days, but when I do,
mythmusic does the job, because, like the rest of mythfrontend, it is
fully functional via remote control and works on a TV screen.  I have
looked at using other, more capable, music players, and they all
stumble on the problem of having to work from a TV setup - they need a
mouse based GUI interface, which simply does not work when the screen
is a TV some distance away.  My mother simply would not be able to see
the detail of such a GUI, and can not use a mouse properly anyway. The
joy and beauty of the plugins is that, like mythfrontend, they are
remote control operated.  That is rare and necessary for anything used
from a TV screen, as opposed to a computer monitor that is less than a
metre away.