[mythtv-users] EOL for MythArchive, MythZoneminder, MythBrowser and MythMusic Re: linking mythtv with zoneminder live view

Ian Campbell ijc at hellion.org.uk
Sun Mar 25 10:37:10 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2018-03-25 at 11:15 +0100, Paul Harrison wrote:
> The plan is remove all the plugins and the frontend but leave the
> backend for now. We will be removing them next Sunday for ALL versions.
>
> This will allow us to concentrate on the backend and the Services API
> that 3rd parties can use.
>
> What do you think? Good plan?

I must be misunderstanding, it sounds above like you are planning to
remove mythfrontend entirely? That would be a disaster for my usecase
(and surely for others too).

Assuming that I've misunderstood and you just mean the fe portions of
the plugins (including mythmusic) and not the whole frontend then even
that would be a shame for me: I use mythmusic on my frontend via the TV
as our main music source in the living room.

Is there some 3rd party replacement which is so well integrated with
remotes and the like and which can be seemlessly navigated from the
mythfe UI in the same way? I've never had much success with launching
third party interfaces on the frontend and having them integrate
nicely.

What are the problems with the existing music frontend? I'm a (dare I
say, more than) competent C programmer and on the occasions I've had to
dive into myth internals I've found the C++ used there entirely
navigable so if it's just a case of keeping the plugin up to date with
core changes I could have the time and motivation to help out.

Ian.