[mythtv-users] fixing program time-slot overrun

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Mar 19 13:05:16 UTC 2018

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 06:52:34 -0400, you wrote:

>I'm looking for an easy solution, if it exist.  Sometimes in the US, OTA
>TV sports run long and pushes the entire evening schedule off by 30-40
>minutes.  To make sure I record everything, I record all prime time
>programs on that channel and at least 60 minutes of late night TV.
>
>I'd like to reassemble the programs into their correct form and create
>entries in the listings for each.  If I could quickly do this then
>everyone else in the household could just watch as normal.  Otherwise we
>all have to watch pieces of different shows and remember not to delete
>them until everyone has watched those night's shows.
>
>Ideas?
>
>Jim A

If multirec works on your tuner(s), then you should be able to enable
that and tell MythTV to record 60 minutes extra on each program you
want.  That is what I do with my DVB tuners.  Mythbackend will use
multirec to record multiple recordings from the same tuner at the same
time, including from the same channel at the same time.  That will
create larger files, but all the content needed for each recording
will be in the same file.

Multirec should work with any directly connected ATSC tuner, but not
if you have to use an STB of some sort.  I think it works with
networked ATSC tuners now also, but that may depend on the tuner.

If you do need to watch part of another recording file, you can use
the M (menu) > Recording Options > Change Recording Metadata to add a
note at the end of the description that is displayed for the
recording, telling people what is going on.  That same menu allows you
also to change the name of a recording or it subtitle.  So if a
program has slipped completely from one recording to the next, you can
rename the recordings.