[mythtv-users] LIRC woes

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 13:51:31 UTC 2018

On 06/03/18 14:23, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> I'm in the process of updating the linux distribution I use for my
> frontend, and the pipe /dev/lircd has disappeared. The pipe is present
> at /var/run/lirc/lircd, but where older versions of my distribution made
> /dev/lircd a soft link to it, the newer one doesn't. I imagine it's to
> do with changes in lirc rather than specific to my distribution.
> mythfrontend seems to look for /dev/lircd and just give up when it
> doesn't find it.
>
> I just thought I'd ask here in case anyone else had run into similar and
> knew a good work around. It could be just something I need to change in
> lirc's config. I suppose I could just add something to the boot
> procedure to add the link, but that seems clunky.

IIRC, there is an entry for the lirc pipe in the mythTV configuration,
so it should be possible to change the default /dev/lircd to the
present, sane value of /var/run/lrcd.

Sane?! Indeed, pipes and other temporaries setup by applications should
reside in /run, not dev according to overall filesystems principles.

That said, lircd's output pipe is configured in lirc config file
lirc_options.conf (normally /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf). So, also that
could be changed, but the idea is certainly not to linger in /dev, an
area handled by the kernel and udev.

Cheers!

--alec