[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR2 / Colossus2 support

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 14:53:44 UTC 2018

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 7:35 AM Dan Wilga <
mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:

> On 3/2/18 3:20 PM, John P Poet wrote:
>

> On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 6:27 AM Rajil Saraswat <rajil.s at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 02/28/2018 06:06 PM, John P Poet wrote:
>>
>> For those asking for HD-PVR2 support, there is finally something you can
>> try:
>>
>> https://github.com/jpoet/HauppaugeUSB
>>
>> John
>>

>> This is awesome news. Does this support the Colossus 2 PCIe card (
>> http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_colossus2.html)?
>>

> Yes, it supports the Colossus2.  Do read the Trouble Shooting section,
> though.
>
> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for all of your work on this. I'm sure it will make a lot of people
> very happy. Two questions, though:
>
> 1.  Just to confirm, because your answer implies that you may not be
> answering the correct question: Does your modified driver work with the
> *PCIe* card version of the Colossus 2?

I was not aware that Hauppauge made a non-PCIe version of the Colossus 2.
Can you give me more information about it?  Maybe a URL to their production
page for it?

> 2.  I know the Colossus 2 supports AC-3, but does it encode more than two
> channels of audio? The vast majority of products out there that say they
> handle AC-3 will not encode 5.1 or more channels.

AC3 5.1 works, but only via the S/PDIF input.  And currently, only when
using the HDMI for video.  I realize that that does not make any sense, but
that is what currently works.  At one point, I had a version hacked up to
get S/PDIF working with COMPONENT, but I have lost that patch, and will
have to re-figure it out.  The README.me included on github talks about
what will be necessary to get 5.1 working via HDMI, according to Hauppauge.

John