[mythtv-users] Subtitle fonts

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Mon Jun 4 18:51:42 UTC 2018

To be clearer, since my original message might have left some ambiguity:

(a) Many DVDs have tracks with "subtitles as images."

(b) Many also have tracks with "subtitles as actual text."

Handbrake can be told to include any number of these tracks
in its output.  If you include (b), then mkvextract can turn
that track into an SRT without doing any OCR on it.

Thus, if you have a DVD that has the (b) types of tracks, and
you're careful to preserve that track when ripping it, then I'd
expect mplayer, vlc, or myth to be able to read that track, or
to read an SRT produced earlier from that track via another tool,
as appropriate.

I'm assuming that the OP had ripped his DVDs using a tool for
which that worked, and that suddenly he's not seeing subtitles.
An obvious check is to ask mplayer what it sees, and compare to
myth's behavior.  Be careful about where each might be looking
for a directory of SRT files.