[mythtv-users] Kodi Jarvis pvr plugin for MythTV .29

George Poulson george.poulson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 07:51:42 UTC 2018

​​
On 15 July 2018 at 19:24, Tom Harris <thom.j.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have switched back and forth between Kodi and Myth Frontend a few times.
>   I do all my scheduling via mythweb, so I just use the frontend for
> playing recordings.   I much prefer the UX of Myth Frontend - better
> navigation, super fast skip ahead/back.   But, Kodi has excellent video
> quality.  To my eye, the HW accelerated MPEG2 1080i playback on my cheap
> little Pi3 is as good as my previous x86 system with Nvidia VDPAU.

​This 100% echoes my experiences.

I though that the following my be of interest...

* I too find mythweb is by far the best way to find/schedule recordings,
and to delete [significant] numbers of "surplus" unwatched recordings that
I will never have the time to view.​

​* I have myth backend and frontend on the same​ (Intel/VAAPI) box under my
TV. I watch recorded tv programmes using mythfrontend, but use it for
little else. My wife is familiar with the myth interface (*major factor*)
and I find that myth performs briliantly when skipping recorded programmes
and the video performance (with Intel/VAAPI) is more than adequate for
watching HD TV (thought we do only have a small (27") TV :-) )

​* I also have​ an RPi3 located by the TV with OSMC/Kodi. I use this to
watch movies, watch liveTV and listen to radio (from a tuner on the myth
backend using the mythtv plugin) - for me the performance of osmc is better
than myth when watching live tv and the appearance of the video is also
preferable to the myth frontend.

All this is with myth 0.29/fixes and osmc/kodi v18.0-alpha.

George