[mythtv-users] Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 19:24:39 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 4:52 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 8:00 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Wow I don't know what it is with me an IR receivers but this one just
>> keeps getting worse.
>>
>> I verified for sure that I have the Iguanaworks "socket receiver"
>> which is intended to have a wired receiver plugged into the 1/8 jack
>> farthest from the USB plug. I bought a wired receiver on ebay that
>> took a month and  a half to arrive from China and it didn't work...not
>> even testing with the Windows igclient. It behaved just like it did
>> when I was trying to use it without a receiver. At that point I
>> assumed that the wired receiver may have been wired differently (the
>> support folks at Iguanaworks mentioned that that was a 50/50 shot), so
>> I ordered a wired receiver from Iganaworks. I got that today and STILL
>> no luck at all. I even have two of the USB units still (as I was
>> shipped a second from the ebay seller) and no luck with either one.
>>
>> Tom
>
> OMG...I don't believe it. I got the iguana to work. They totally redid
> their site and I can't even find the page that describes the socket
> receiver...specifically, which socket is for the wired receiver. I was
> sure it was the one at the end farthest from the USB plug and it's the
> other. I was sure I'd tried that but apparently not. Another thing
> that confused my testing is that I always forget that ir-keytable
> relies on X seeing the input device, so plugging in a new device
> requires restarting X for "ir-keytable -t" to work.
>
> As far as how reliable the iguanaworks receiver is, it's hard to tell
> just with tests. I'd probably have to actually use it on my frontend
> to judge. On thing I do notice, but this is true for me with
> ir-keytable even with serial: The -P (period) parameters just don't
> seem to work for me. If I hold a button long enough to repeat it
> repeats REALLY fast. It doesn't seem to be observing that at all.
>
> Tom

Excellent. I decided to actually try this on my frontend and the
iguanair seems VERY reliable. Arguably just as good as my old serial
IR. I have a feeling that the MCE receivers simply may not deal well
with remotes that don't use the RC-6 protocol, and again, mine uses
NEC. As a matter of fact, one button on my remote isn't picked up at
all by the MCE, and works fine with the Iguana.

It was the long way around the block for sure, but this seems like a
great option once I have no more serial port.

As mentioned above, I still find that the -P (period) option of
ir-keytable simply doesn't work. The delay does, but even with the
period set to 1000 ms it repeats faster than a machine gun. I've seen
others post as much here.

Tom