[mythtv-users] Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 21:52:34 UTC 2018

On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 8:00 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow I don't know what it is with me an IR receivers but this one just
> keeps getting worse.
>
> I verified for sure that I have the Iguanaworks "socket receiver"
> which is intended to have a wired receiver plugged into the 1/8 jack
> farthest from the USB plug. I bought a wired receiver on ebay that
> took a month and  a half to arrive from China and it didn't work...not
> even testing with the Windows igclient. It behaved just like it did
> when I was trying to use it without a receiver. At that point I
> assumed that the wired receiver may have been wired differently (the
> support folks at Iguanaworks mentioned that that was a 50/50 shot), so
> I ordered a wired receiver from Iganaworks. I got that today and STILL
> no luck at all. I even have two of the USB units still (as I was
> shipped a second from the ebay seller) and no luck with either one.
>
> Tom

OMG...I don't believe it. I got the iguana to work. They totally redid
their site and I can't even find the page that describes the socket
receiver...specifically, which socket is for the wired receiver. I was
sure it was the one at the end farthest from the USB plug and it's the
other. I was sure I'd tried that but apparently not. Another thing
that confused my testing is that I always forget that ir-keytable
relies on X seeing the input device, so plugging in a new device
requires restarting X for "ir-keytable -t" to work.

As far as how reliable the iguanaworks receiver is, it's hard to tell
just with tests. I'd probably have to actually use it on my frontend
to judge. On thing I do notice, but this is true for me with
ir-keytable even with serial: The -P (period) parameters just don't
seem to work for me. If I hold a button long enough to repeat it
repeats REALLY fast. It doesn't seem to be observing that at all.

Tom