[mythtv-users] Video quality on 0.28 worse than it was on 0.21

Gregorio Gervasio Jr. gregorio.gervasio at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 22:13:05 UTC 2018

[...]
> I just looked up the 6600 in the Nvidia documentation, and as expected
> it does not support VDPAU at all.  So with that card, there is no
> point in installing the Nvidia drivers.  The 8600GT supports VDPAU
> feature set A, which means it can do most of what MythTV wants, except
> probably not the best deinterlacing modes.

> Note that in order to use VDPAU, as well as installing the Nvidia
> drivers, you have to configure mythfrontend to use a VDPAU mode.  See
> the MythTV Wiki for the setup for this.  Without configuring
> mythfrontend for VDPAU, output will be relying on the CPU only to do
> the processing and the results will be bad on 720p or above unless the
> CPU is new enough and powerfull enough to cope.

It still makes sense to use the nVidia driver even if you don't use
VDPAU.  I use an 8400GS without VDPAU and the nVidia 340xx driver.  As
you say, the CPU has to be fast enough, but my 10-yr old Core2 Duo E8400
is sufficient (even for 1.5x audio stretch of 1080i MPEG-2, as well as
1080p H264 Bluray).  If I use the nouveau driver, playback is not as
smooth.

I used to have a 6600 in another system with the same CPU and
motherboard and I think I got similar results -- good with the nVidia
driver, but not with nouveau.

Gregorio Gervasio Jr.        gregorio.gervasio at gmail.com
GPG:  11A0 12AB 68F5 80D7 088E  C423 FA12 5EF9 DF30 192D