[mythtv-users] Digital and Analog sound?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Aug 23 05:50:27 UTC 2018

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 21:19:49 -0700, you wrote:

>I know I am over my head when the top Google search is a help page I
>wrote.  Such is the case with the Digital Audio Tutorial.  The next search
>revealed two others with the exact same question and nobody replied to
>either query.
>
>The issue is that in the course of trying to get the 16.04 version to work,
>something so frustrating I might go back to Myth 8.04, my Toshiba Coax
>Dobly SPDIF to RCA Stereo converter quit working so now I have no sound
>when looking at the TV without turning on the big sound system which burns
>200 watts in standby (Class A) so I don't like to do that for watching the
>news.
>
>If I could get the digital out as well as the analog I could just put the
>analog into the TV.  But there is no output.  It was exceedingly difficult
>to get the Digital Audio working 10 years ago when I wrote that HowTo,
>which is why I wrote it.
>
>I thought someone might know if it is even possible.
>
>Allen

We will need a bit more information to be able to help.  Just what
hardware are you using for audio, in the PC and outside?

Alsa is normally able to output digital and analogue sound at the same
time, and often does on the default settings, but only to one device
(if that device is capable of both).  If you are trying to get audio
out the HDMI at the same time as out of the PC sound card, you will
need to adjust the alsa settings to make that work as the Nvidia card
HDMI audio is a different sound card from the PC motherboard one.

If you are trying to get SPDIF out of the PC motherboard at the same
time as using the motherboard analogue outputs, that is usually easy.
Just run alsamixer from a root command prompt and unmute all the
outputs you want.