[mythtv-users] successful upgrades to ubuntu 18.04 from 16.04?

Jay Foster jayf0ster at roadrunner.com
Wed Aug 1 16:32:47 UTC 2018

On 8/1/2018 9:25 AM, Jason Zarin wrote:
> Anyone make the leap yet?
>
> So last time I went through this process (14.04 --> 16.04) it was a
> total unmitigated disaster as nothing worked afterwards. Apparently
> the combination of switching to systemd and a major upgrade to a new
> version of mysql just broke everything. I restored from backup and
> stayed on 14 for a while longer. waited until a slow weekend to do a
> complete 16.04 install from scratch and restored all the recordings
> and mythtv database and everything has been smooth sailing ever since.
>
> Hopefully with fewer drastic changes under the hood, in-place
> upgrading to 18.04.1 will be less dramatic....
>
> But what would be the best way to go about it given that the mythtv
> PPA is not part of the ubuntu distribution?

> 1. do an in-place do-release-upgrade, re-add the mythbuntu PPA
> afterwards and hope for the best?
>
> 2. remove the mythbuntu PPA before doing the upgrade,
> do-release-upgrade, and re-add the ppa?
>
> 3. apt remove (or purge?) mythtv* and other myth-related packages
> before doing the upgrade, do-release-upgrade, add the PPA and
> reinstall all the packages?
>
> or 4. LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE and stay on 16.04 until 2021.
>
> Thanks

Option 4.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I'm still using Mythbuntu
14.04 with 0.28.  I only upgraded from 0.27 because something stopped
working (meta data lookups I think).  As a bonus, 0.28 came with H.265
support.  I have a second frontend (NUC) that uses 16.04 with 0.28, but
that was so I could get updated video drivers to support VAAPI which was
needed with the 0.28 update (0.27 was fine on the NUC without it).
Jay